Help to Buy in Wales

The UK's leading new homes portal 
Help to Buy Wales
The Help to Buy scheme is designed to help first-time buyers to purchase affordable new build homes in Wales. Find out how the scheme can benefit you with WhatHouse?

Help to Buy Wales is very similar to the terms of Help to Buy England, except the housing price has to be below £300,000 to qualify for the equity loan. The government will offer a 20% equity loan, of the property value on a five-year interest-free basis. The new homeowner would have to put down just 5% as a deposit, in order to secure the new property.

With 25% of the property covered, you will have to take out a repayments mortgage to cover the remaining 75% of the value, of which you will be means-tested to ensure that you’re in the financial position to repay this.

​After the first five years, there is an interest fee of 1.75% of the property price at that time, increasing in line with the Retail Prices Index plus 1%, that will be added to your monthly repayments of the loan. The Help to Buy loan lasts 25 years maximum. If you choose to sell your property before this period, the government should receive 20% of the sold 

Working example

Property price £150,000 (100%)
Initial deposit £7,500    (5%)
Equity loan     £30,000    (20%)
Remaining mortgage  £112,500    (75%)

There are a large number of housebuilders taking part in the scheme. Some of the mortgage lenders participating in the scheme are:
Barclays Bank Plc
Lloyds Banking Group
Monmouthshire Building Society
Nationwide Building Society
Principality Building Society
TSB
Virgin Money

 
A full list of participating housebuilders and lenders can be found on the Welsh Government's Help to Buy website.

In a step-by-step explanation, the process of buying through Help to Buy Wales is as follows:

  1. Search for a new home from a participating housebuilder
  2. Submit your application to Help to Buy Wales
  3. Make a reservation on the property you want
  4. Apply for a mortgage
  5. Exchange contracts, transfer funds and complete the sale
Case Studies
The Mill (Lovell Homes)
1 October 2020
Chances for a move to The Mill in Cardiff this year are running out for house-hunters as the site nears completion...
Read more 
Matthew and Rebecca in their new Bellway home
30 January 2018
Mathew Bowen and Rebecca Harries have purchased their first home together at Bellway’s St Lythans Park development in Wenvoe...

Read more 
Chris and Laura in their new home
6 October 2016
Chris Hall proposed to Laura Jones, his long-term partner on the day they got the keys to move into their first home together in North Wales...
Read more 
FAQ
What's best for me, equity loan or the mortgage guarantee scheme?
Can I buy a home off-plan?
Can I change the property in any way?
Are there any restrictions on the type of property I can purchase?
Do I have to pay stamp duty?
Recent News
Gwyn Jones, Castle Green Homes
8 January 2021
Our first interview of 2021 is with Gwyn Jones of Castle Green Homes, building across north Wales and the North West...
Read more 
Show home at Ymyl Yr Afon (Lovell Homes)
7 December 2020
A fully decorated three-bedroom show house has been revealed at Lovell Homes' Ymyl Yr Afon development...
Read more 
Plas Issa (Castle Green Homes)
4 December 2020
Plas Issa is a development catering for all sort of buyers, with countryside and great transport links on the doorstep...
Read more 
Sign up to our newsletter

Get all the up-to-date information on new homes, government buying schemes and initiatives, tips on moving home, saving and much, much more.


© 2021 WhatHouse
Click here to see your activities