Help to Buy in Scotland

The UK's leading new homes portal 
Help to Buy Scotland
The Help to Buy scheme is designed to help first-time buyers to purchase affordable new build homes in Scotland. Find out how the scheme can benefit you with WhatHouse?

Help to Buy (Scotland) Affordable New Build Scheme was launched in March 2016 (alongside the Help to Buy Scotland Smaller Developers scheme, which is run in exactly the same way). 

An additional £100 million will be provided in to Help to Buy (Scotland) from 2019 to 2021, meaning that approximately 18,000 new properties will be purchased through this scheme.

The government offers a five-year interest-free equity loan of 15% to those looking to use Help to Buy in Scotland, on properties with the value of £200,000 and lower. With this, you would only have to provide a deposit of 5% of the property value. With 20% covered, you would have to find a repayments mortgage for the remaining 80% of the cost. In order to make sure the new home is affordable to the buyer, strict means testing will take place to show that the mortgage required will equate to no more than 4.5 times your income if you're single or 3.5 times your combined income if you're a couple.

Once the five-year interest free period has ended, an interest fee of 1.75% will be added to your monthly repayments of the loan.

The Help to Buy (Scotland) loan lasts 25 years maximum and once you sell your property, you must provide the government with 15% of the current property value. If the property value has increased, it is important that this is taken in to account.

The home that you purchase through Help to Buy (Scotland) must be the only property that you own and this must be your personal place of residence. Any property purchased through Help to Buy (Scotland) must not be rented out. Only government approved housebuilders and lenders can part-take in the scheme. Some available Help to Buy (Scotland) lenders in Scotland are:

Glasgow Credit Union
Skipton
TSB
Leeds Building Society
Virgin Money
Lloyds Banking Group
Leeds Building Society
Barclays

Working example

Property price £200,000 (100%)
Initial deposit £10,000    (5%)
Equity loan     £30,000    (15%)
Remaining mortgage  £160,000    (80%)
Case Studies
Susan Jackson (Campion Homes)
6 March 2019
From gold medallist to managing director, Susan Jackson speaks exclusively to WhatHouse? about Campion Homes... 
Read more 
Jamie and Casey in their new Taylor Wimpey home
29 September 2016
A couple from near Glasgow have bought their perfect first home at Dargavel Village South thanks to Taylor Wimpey and Help to Buy Scotland...
Read more 
Home change at Glenmill (Persimmon Homes)
23 May 2016
A young family from Glasgow has saved thousands on the cost of moving thanks to a scheme that has taken the hassle out of selling their existing ...
Read more 
FAQ
Is a new build a good investment? 
Are there any restrictions on the type of property I can purchase?
Can I get help with benefits to pay the Help to Buy fees, if I lose my job?
Do I have to pay stamp duty?
Can I change the property in any way?
Can I buy a home off-plan?
Recent News
Forces Help to Buy
11 November 2019
Forces Help to Buy is designed to help servicemen and servicewomen onto the property ladder. Here’s your complete guide to the scheme...
Read more 
The Shires (Redrow Homes)
7 November 2019
Our weekly report to house-hunters on the latest launches, events and special offers for new homes...
Read more 
'Fenton' house type, Barratt Homes
1 November 2019
The WhatHouse? team's current favourite new home for sale is the ‘Fenton’ at The Heathers in Dunfermline...   
Read more 
Sign up to our newsletter

Get all the up-to-date information on new homes, government buying schemes and initiatives, tips on moving home, saving and much, much more.


© 2019 WhatHouse
Click here to see your activities