LoginSubscribe to Alerts

Selling your Shared Ownership Property - What you Need to Know

Posted 20 February 2016 by Keith Osborne

WhatHouse? speaks to Jeanette Grady of housing provider Riverside Home Ownership about the key points when it comes to selling a Shared Ownership home...

The government-backed Shared Ownership scheme has helped thousands of people on a modest income to get a foot on the property ladder – but what happens when you come to sell that home? Riverside Home Ownership’s sales and new business manager, Jeanette Grady, answers your top questions about selling your Shared Ownership property.

Selling a Shared Ownership property is often thought to be a more challenging process than selling a freehold property on the open market. However, with the right guidance and the support of your housing association, selling your Shared Ownership home needn’t be complicated and remains an excellent way to take a step up the property ladder.

How do I start the selling process on my Shared Ownership home?

The first thing to do when you decide to sell is to contact your housing provider informing them of your intention.

In most cases, you will need to have a valuation of your property carried out by a RICS-accredited surveyor (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors), to establish the sale price of your share. Many housing associations have a list of firms they can give you to choose from.

How is the price of my share determined?

Jeanette GradyThe price will directly equate to the share you hold in the property. To put it simply, if you own 50% of a property valued at £100,000, the value of your share will be £50,000.

What happens next?

Depending on your Shared Ownership lease, the association may have a right to nominate a new buyer for your property or to market your share for sale for an exclusive period of time, perhaps six or eight weeks.

If the housing association doesn’t have a suitable buyer to nominate within this time, or if they choose not to take up this right, then you can usually advertise your share through an estate agent in much the same way as any other homeowner.

What does the new buyer have to do?

When a buyer has viewed your property and wants to go ahead, they will need to be assessed by the housing association to make sure they qualify for Shared Ownership and can afford the property – the same way as when you bought it yourself.

The housing association will approve each potential buyer, but it is normally down to you which of the approved buyers you sell to.

How does the conveyancing process work?

Once the new buyer has passed the necessary checks and you have agreed a sale with them through your estate agent, the buyer’s solicitor will contact your solicitor and the conveyancing process will continue in much the same way as any house sale.

Choosing the exchange and completion date is entirely up to you and the buyer, you just need to let your housing association know the date you agree on.

Can I sell the housing association’s share in the property?

While you live in your Shared Ownership property you are often able to buy the remaining shares, known as ‘staircasing’. It can sometimes make the sale of your home easier if it is offered at 100% ownership, even though you still only part-own it yourself.

Selling the housing association’s share alongside yours is called ‘back-to-back’ staircasing. This means that the new purchaser acquires both shares at the same time. If you choose this option you are often able to complete the sale as you would with a freehold property. You should however check with your housing provider to make sure your lease allows this, and be prepared for the additional legal fees this involves. 

Does it cost more to sell a Shared Ownership property?

The legal fees for selling any leasehold property are usually higher than for a freehold property, as there is additional work involved for your solicitor. Shared Ownership properties do not necessarily mean more costs if you choose a good, experienced solicitor.

Your housing association will likely charge an administration fee when you sell, as they are often obliged to carry out certain work under the conditions of your lease.

What if I need some help through the process?

Your Shared Ownership provider can help you along the way. Riverside Home Ownership has a dedicated sales team that provides advice and assistance to shared ownership buyers and sellers from start to finish. Get in touch with your housing association with any questions – they’re the experts!

Elaine Penhaul (Lemon and Lime Interiors)
14 July 2021
The property market will see a turnaround with growing demand for urban homes, says home staging expert Elaine Penhaul...Read more
25 June 2021
The knock-on effect of Covid-19 is that it can take a bit extra work to buy a property compared with pre-pandemic times...Read more
14 June 2021
What are some of the best green features to consider as ways to make your home more energy efficient?Read more
Architecture & Design
Andrea Fawell of Kebbell
1 June 2021
Andrea Fawell of housebuilder Kebbell, tells us her top post-lockdown tips for first-time buyers to ensure a smooth process...Read more
27 May 2021
Home insurance is a necessity but it’s important not to go for the first policy you see – there are a number of points to consider...Read more
26 May 2021
Would-be first-time buyers don't have to rely on inheriting a large sum in order to step on the first rung of the property ladder...Read more
A Guide To Part Buy Part Rent
Part Rent Part Buy is a scheme you can use with Home Reach where you buy a share of your chosen newly built home and pay a monthly rent on the part you don’t buy. Find your part buy part rent house today!

Click here to see your activities