Taking it’s name from the River Leach, which joins the Thames just east of the town, there is evidence of occupation dating as far back as 2500 bc, with substantial settlements appearing during the Iron Age and also during Roman times. Many artifacts that have been found can now be seen at the Cirencester Museum.
Mentioned in the Doomsday Book, William the Conqueror gifted the manor of Lechlade to Henry de Ferrers who came from France with him in 1066. It became a flourishing port and then, with the improvement of roads, found itself on the main route to Gloucester.
From the bustling market town of earlier years it is now much quieter and is ideal for commuters working in Swindon and other nearby towns. The town benefits from lots of local amenities including a Post Office, Library, shops, schools, medical centre and public houses. There are also a diverse range of clubs and societies from badminton, tennis, cricket, bridge and gardening to history, arts and theatre, as well as a range of clubs for young people.
Although surrounded by open countryside and seeming far from the madding crowd, it is well connected to local towns and transport links. The A417 running through the village links to Cirencester and the M5 to the North West and through Wantage to the M4 motorway to the south.
Swindon station (just over 12 miles away) is on the mainline into London Paddington (57 mins) for all destinations West by First Great Western trains. Heathrow Airport is easily accessible by road or rail. There are also a number of regular bus routes serving areas such as Cirencester, Swindon, Wantage and Oxford.